Dr. Curtis Mina is a fellowship trained Orthopedic Surgeon specializing in minimally invasive methods for treating spinal pathology. Dr. Mina studied biomedical engineering at Northwestern University following which he completed his medical degree at Duke University in 2007. His additional training includes an orthopedic surgical residency at Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, NY, which has consistently been the top-ranked orthopedic program in the US during each of the last ten years. Dr. Mina then completed a combined neurosurgery/orthopedic surgery spine fellowship at Leatherman Spine Center in Louisville, KY. He trained with both orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons learning to incorporate methods from both of these disciplines for treating spine pathology. Dr. Mina has also completed additional training in minimally invasive spine surgery during a traveling fellowship to Singapore, where he worked at Singapore General Hospital shadowing many of the early pioneers of minimally invasive spine surgery.
During his career, Dr. Mina has also been active in giving back to various communities. He has traveled to Ghana where he performed complex spinal reconstructive procedures in children with severe scoliosis who were otherwise unable to obtain surgical care. Additionally, while in medical school, Curtis organized and completed a 51 day, 4300 mile cross country bicycle trip from Virginia to Oregon as a means of raising funds to benefit the Sarcoma Foundation of America. This organization strives to develop new methods for treating children with orthopedic tumors.
Curtis is excited to be practicing in Alaska, where he can pursue his love of the outdoors. In his free time Curtis enjoys hiking, climbing, mountaineering and spending time with his wife and young children.
- Spine Surgery Fellowship (2012-2013) - Norton Leatherman Spine Center, Louisville, KY
- Minimally invasive Spine Surgery Fellowship (one month 2012), National University of Singapore
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency (2007-2012) - Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY
- Medical School (2002-2007) - Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC
- MBA (2004-2007) - Duke University Fugua School of Business, Durham, NC
- Biomedical Engineering (1998-2002) - Northwestern University, Evanston, IL