Dr. Gardner grew up In Virginia. He first came to Alaska in 1982 during medical school and worked in Dillingham as a medical student at Kanakanak Hospital for 2 months. He fell in love with Alaska and all it had to offer. He moved to Alaska in 1989 after completing his orthopedic training and worked with Dr. Richard Strohmeyer as the 2nd orthopedist in the Matsu Valley. Together they formed Denali Orthopedic Surgery P. C. in 1991.
Dr. Gardner is board certified in orthopedic surgery. He practices general orthopedics (with the exception of spinal care), caring for both bony as well as soft tissue conditions of the musculoskeletal system both surgically and nonsurgically. He enjoys management of hand conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome, trigger fingers, and ganglions. He also manages fractures of both upper and lower extremity, and does arthroscopy of the knee.
Outside of work Dr. Gardner enjoys farming, hiking, skiing and snowboarding, fishing and hunting, bicycling and bluegrass music.
"I take the time to listen to my patients. I enjoy talking with my patients, and try to teach them to understand their orthopedic condition and options of care. I respect their input. I work hard to improve their quality of life and attempt to care for each patient as if they are family. I am dedicated to determining the best options of care for my patients."
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency (1985-1989) -- University Of Virginia Medical Center, Charlottesville, Va.
- Internship in General Surgery (1983-1985)--University of Virginia Medical Center, Charlottesville, Va.
- Medical School (1979-1983)—University Of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.—majoring in Chemistry/Biochemistry and graduating with high distinction.
- Board certification by American Board of Orthopedic Surgery in 1991 and recertified in 2001 and 2011
- Served as Chief of Staff Valley Hospital
- Graduated Magna cum Laude from University of Virginia
- Member Phi Beta Kappa at University of Virginia
- Virginia Governors School (1974)
- Eagle Scout
Professional Society Memberships:
- American Academy Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Alaska State Orthopedic Society
- Anchorage Orthopedic Society
- Alaska State Medical Association
- Matsu Medical Society
- Matsu Regional Medical Center—active staff
- Providence Medical Center—consulting status
- Alaska Regional Hospital—courtesy staff